Senior Manager of Events
February 18, 2019
Position Title: Senior Manager of Events
Location: Chicago Office
Closing Date: When filled
Position Status: Full Time
The Senior Manager of Events will be responsible for planning and executing event programming and operations for various properties and projects within the KemperLesnik portfolio. This individual must understand sports marketing and events with a background in basketball operations and logistics, sponsorship activation, site procurement, hospitality, and broadcast integration. Individual must be detail oriented and have good customer relations skills in order to interact with colleagues, vendors, clients and sponsors. The Senior Manager of Events should have a love for event management, customer service and be able to build relationships with internal and external constituents. Looking for a self-directed leader who excels in a team environment and has the ability to build and maintain positive internal and external relationships.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the planning and execution of production, operations and logistics for all events
- Manage communication with all stakeholders of events such as college basketball DOBO’s, travel, scheduling, broadcast partners, security, hotels and transportation.
- Day-to-day management of events, including operations vendors and contracted staff conducting regular meetings and planning sessions across all projects and staff members.
- Create and manage individual project budgets and timelines to ensure properties are meeting goals.
- Secure and coordinate all appropriate permits, licensing and other necessary local municipal relationships.
- Maintain awareness of current trends in event management and integrate into the operation in a timely manner.
- Review effectiveness of event management annually and makes appropriate adjustments.
- Develop or direct the development and preparation of comprehensive management reports and accurate manuals.
- Have a passion for providing superior guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Secure, negotiate, direct, coordinate and oversee the activities of contractors and vendors engaged in providing goods and services utilized in all aspects of the event.
- Develop crowd management and security plans to ensure comfortable and safe event site. Liaise with local first responders to set in place contingencies for various hazards and emergency situations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal staff, external stakeholders, school administrators and event clients.
- Manage operational elements of sponsorship activation programs, independently or in conjunction with event properties.
- Manage business relationships for securing cost efficiencies and in-kind donations for goods and services.
Business Operations, Development & Strategy
- Work with management team to develop and implement the business plan and long term strategies for division.
- Recruit, interview, select, train, motivate and evaluate event staff; provide or coordinate staff training;
- Work with other department directors in a variety of tasks.
- Conduct research, make site visits, and find resources to help team make decisions about existing events and new event possibilities.
- Assist with booking venues and negotiating beneficial fees to develop budget models and staffing plans.
- Research and lead organic business development initiatives with internal team and key stakeholders.
- Contribute ideas and work with management team to grow and maximize the portfolio of events and clients.
- Plan, propose, submit and manage a variety of annual event budgets for properties within the portfolio.
- Bachelors’ degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of experience with increasing responsibilities and a record of proven success in event planning and management.
- Basketball operations and event presentation experience required.
- Event project management experience required
- Experience working with NCAA member institutions preferred
- Understanding of marketing communications and ticket sales preferred
- Demonstrated ability to stay within budget and reach financial goals in event execution.
- Knowledge of principles, trends and practices of event operations including but not limited to project management, risk management, site procurement, technology and vendor acquisition and relations.
- Proven leadership of a diverse team of professionals from direct reports to vendors to contracted employees.
- Excellent customer service, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to think strategically, resourcefully and be a skilled problem-solver.
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Fire, public safety and food service practices and regulations.
- A positive attitude with professional manner and appearance in all situations.
- Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access.
- Experience and knowledge of the Adobe suite of services (InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc.) preferred.
Work hours may include days and evenings on weekdays and weekends. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
General office machines such as personal computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, calculators, telephones, etc. Utilization of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as Microsoft Outlook. VDT glare screen and wrist rest.
Must have the ability to:
- Read and write (English).
- Communicate verbally with staff members and/or customers.
- Give and/or follow verbal and written instructions.
- Perform mathematical calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Retrieve, read and interpret information from technical sources.
- Stand, sit, walk, push, pull, lift, grasp, bend and kneel for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Lift up to 30 lbs occasionally, 20 lbs frequently, and 10 lbs constantly